Some things I would comment on if I had the time. Expect the list to grow throughout the day.
- Descendants of black American slaves sue the UK’s oldest insurance company for underwriting ships used in the trade.
- washingtonpost.com – Bill Clinton ran for president in 1992 as a New Democrat, and eight years later, George W. Bush ran as a compassionate conservative. But even after presumptively winning the Democratic nomination, Sen. John F. Kerry (Mass.) has yet to put a distinctive stamp on his candidacy, his party or the shape of a Kerry presidency.
- Salon: Elements of the Republican right have declared jihad on the values party moderates hold dear, and though the White House claims to embrace all Republican factions, for most moderates there’s little doubt where its loyalties lie.
- Reuters – A convicted Saudi murderer escaped death by seconds when he was forgiven by his victim’s father as he knelt down before the executioner’s sword, a Saudi newspaper has reported.
- Reuters – A German man has been arrested for credit card theft after trying to buy 76 euros (51 pounds) worth of beer and cigarettes at a gas station with a stolen card that belonged to the cashier.
- Reuters – A Cambodian man cut off his penis when he said he was visited by four hungry spirits in a dream and he had no chicken or duck to offer them.
- AP – Authorities in Carroll County have arrested a Villa Rica man in connection with nude photos left on car windshields. This one is close to home.
- AP – A Henry County woman who contributed two poems to the popular “Chicken Soup for the Soul” books series was arrested after leaving a less-than-heartwarming impression on her neighbors.<Sigh> And so is this one.
- Reuters – The mermaid patron of a Polish coastal town faces plastic surgery after councilors decided her breasts were too small and hips too wide, a city official said Monday.